The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

College of Business Adminstration at the University of Tennessee Dreamweaver Templates. College of Business Administration at the University of Tennessee

Petty Cash Reimbursements

Petty Cash funds are used to provide reimbursement to faculty, staff, students, etc. for purchases made with personal funds for university departments.

Types of Purchases:

Petty cash funds should be used for emergency and miscellaneous purchases of supplies and materials from sources outside the university. These funds should not be used for purchases from central supply stores, university bookstores, or any other university department. Purchases from sources within the university are charged to departments by internal transfer.

Amount of Purchases:

Petty cash purchases may be made up to $10,000 for a single-item purchase. This amount corresponds to the limits in FISCAL POLICY 410.

Reimbursement Procedures and Required Receipts:

The Petty Cash Reimbursement Request Form (T-44) must be used to request reimbursement for petty cash expenditures.  When completing this form, please include proper justification of purchase.  No items considered personal will be reimbursed.  Each request should be accompanied by itemized receipts.  Please note sales tax can be added to the receipt by the vendors. This tax can be included when requesting reimbursement for expenditures.

One of the following types of receipts is required to support petty cash purchases. In order of preference, these receipts are (1) vendor's invoice, (2) detailed cash register or other vendor receipt, (3) non-detailed cash register or other vendor receipt accompanied by a completed Petty Cash Expense Form (T-4) without vendor's signature, and (4) completed FORM T-4 with vendor's signature.

Note: Employees should first attempt to obtain either a vendor's invoice or receipt before submitting only the FORM T-4 to support these purchases. Also, employees should take FORM T-4s when making purchases in case invoices or receipts are unavailable.

  1. Vendor's invoice must be dated and include:
    1. Proof of Payment
      • Stamped "paid" with an official vendor's stamp, or
      • Marked "paid" and signed or initialed by the vendor, or
      • Processed through the vendor's cash register to indicate a "cash sale"
    2. Complete list and description of materials purchased or services provided
    3. Cost Center/WBS Element to be charged and general ledger (G/L) account for expenditures
  2. Detailed cash register or other vendor receipt must be dated and include:
    • Itemized description and price of each item purchased
    • Vendor's name imprinted on the receipt
  3. Non-detailed cash register or other vendor receipt, with date and vendor's imprint, which also requires a completed Petty Cash Expense Form (T-4) without vendor's signature.
  4. Petty Cash Expense Form (T-4) alone which must include:
    • Vendor's name
    • Signature of vendor or payee
    • Date of purchase
    • General description and price of each item purchased
    • Total amount of the purchase
    • Cost center/WBS element and G/L account to be charged

Note: All invoices and cash register receipts must be originals.  However, when vendors issue receipts on standard carbon copy forms, the words "customer invoice" or similar description should appear.  Receipts that appear to be altered will not be accepted or processed.

Other Important Information:

All goods/items purchased must be shipped to a University address.  All receipts must have proof of payment reference somewhere on the receipt(s).

For more information about Petty Cash Reimbursements, please visit the UT Policy & Procedures Web Page.

If you still need assistance or have questions, please contact Denise or Vickie.

Financial Information Office ~ 453 Haslam Business Building ~ Knoxville, TN ~ 37996 - 4140
Phone: (865) 974-1770 ~ Fax: (865) 974-3663 ~ (865) 974-4237


The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Big Orange. Big Ideas.

Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000
The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System